Denver Civic Center Recommended to Become National Historic Landmark | Community Spirit
Denver Civic Center was recommended by a U.S. Department of the Interior agency to become a National Historic Landmark – moving Denver one step closer to receiving the first designation of this kind in the city.On Tuesday, at the Spring 2012 National Park System Advisory Board Landmarks Committee Meeting, Mayor Michael B. Hancock gave personal testimony to support Civic Center’s candidacy.
“Civic Center serves as the keystone for the entire Denver Parks system and sits literally where the City’s cultural, community and commercial realms converge,” Mayor Hancock said at the Meeting. “For Civic Center to receive the honor of becoming National Historic Landmark would shine a spotlight on this city treasure and help to deliver Denver as a world-class city.”
The Denver Civic Center recommended for designation includes Civic Center Park, Veteran’s Park, the McNichols Building, the City and County Building and the Colorado State Capitol.
A legacy park from Mayor Speer’s City Beautiful Movement, Civic Center would join a list of some of the most iconic, treasured and historically significant spaces in the United States. Designation would place Civic Center alongside such sites as the Empire State Building, the Alamo and the Library of Congress.
On May 22 and 23, Civic Center’s recommendation will go to the National Park Service Advisory Board for further consideration. The board will advance their recommendations to U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, who will officially designate the new National Historic Landmarks.
For more details, go to: www.nps.gov.
Upcoming Events near Glendale - Cherry Creek
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Pedestrians injured, 1 killed in 3 different crashes in metro area
- State: New background check law stopped 72 private gun sales to criminals
- Officials warn about partially frozen ponds
- Police release sketch of suspect wanted in fatal LoDo concert beating case
- Denver police looking for man who tried to abduct girl
- University of Denver warns about date-rape drugs after 3 assaults
- Police look for suspect in attack on female jogger in Denver
- Two Denver children missing for 24 hours found safe
- Residents sound alarm about possible imposter knocking on their doors
- 2 arrests made in Washington Park crime spree; Police warn residents to stay alert