Front Range firefighters bare (almost) all for charity calendar | News
DENVER — Despite the chill in the air Friday night, it’s quite heated at auditions for the 2013 Colorado Firefighter Calendar in Denver.
This is the calendar’s first major event since a financial scandal last fall forced the former organizer to step down.
The screams firefighters hear are usually for help–not this–ladies screaming and squealing with delight.
And usually firefighters battle smoke and flames–not each other.
“Whether I make it or whether I don’t, just being asked to do it is a great honor,” says Eric Pingel from Buckley AFB Fire Department.
These professional firefighters compete for one of 14 coveted spots in the 2013 Colorado Firefighter Calendar.
“Firefighters are all about helping people. If we can use our role as firefighters to promote fire safety and help Children’s Hospital, I think any of us would take advantage of the opportunity,” says Matt Zavala with Boulder Fire Department.
“It’s a great way to get a positive spin for the kids,” says Arvada firefighter Rob Kvitek.
They’re part of 33 men and women vying for a month in the popular calendar.
The calendar means raising money to help children hurt by fire. But for the ladies, is it more about helping themselves than children?
“Both. It’s 100 percent both,” laughs spectator Morgan Dennis.
“It’s a great charity with a lot of good scenery,” says her friend Miki Cavanaugh.
“The reason I bought tickets is mainly because of charity honestly, 80 percent. The other is, who doesn’t want to look at hot, naked, juicy guys,” says spectator Desirae Kraft.
The ladies get to mingle with the men they’d normally only get to see on their worst day.
“This is definitely a good girl’s night out,” says Jennifer Samuel.
It’s a night when charity and shirtless lifesavers unite for the prettiest of pictures.
The firefighters are judged on a combination of an interview, their physique, personality and community service, among other things.
The 2013 calendar will come out in August.
Upcoming Events near Glendale - Cherry Creek
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- DPD issues 32 citations at 4/20 pot rally Saturday
- Don’t become a crime victim: Follow these 14 warm weather safety tips
- Denver Police detective placed on leave during investigation in Lakewood
- Reward offered for help finding church burglary suspect
- Inmate accidentally released from Denver Jail arrested again
- Police: Suspect in SE Denver church burglary arrested
- Denver Parks & Rec considering total ban on alcohol in Wash Park
- Wash Park residents on alert for men posing as security workers
- Reward offered for info on Obama swastika graffiti incidents near DU
- Homes, churches targeted for burglary in quiet Denver neighborhood